Former Suffield police officer resigns Granby PD post amid charges

By Gregory A. Scibelli - Staff Writer
Suffield - posted Thu., Jul. 7, 2011
David L. Bourque. Courtesy photo. - Contributed Photo

Former Suffield Police Officer David L. Bourque has resigned his position as captain of the Granby Police Department amid allegations of child pornography possession and other charges brought against the longtime Suffield resident.

Bourque was a captain at the Granby Police Department and was widely considered a favorite to be the successor of Granby PD Chief David Watkins at some point. Watkins has confirmed that Bourque resigned from the department as of June 9.

Prior to his resignation, Bourque had been on a paid leave from the department, after being arrested and charged with possession of child pornography. He later would be charged with possession of marijuana.

The Town of Granby was continuing to pay Bourque’s salary and would have done so for as long as the suspension continued while he was in court facing the charges. Bourque made $86,000 and was paid a $30,000 severance in exchange for his resignation.

Bourque, of West Suffield, was arrested in April on federal child pornography charges. He is still being investigated for possession of child pornography. The marijuana possession charge was brought by the Connecticut State Police.
If convicted on child pornography possession, Bourque could face up to 10 years in prison and fines up to $250,000.

Bourque served his hometown for more than 30 years in the Suffield Police Department. He performed several different functions in the department, including budgetary responsibilities and training officers on computers, and he was on the Youth Advisory Board. He was hired by the Granby Police Department in early 2010.

Federal investigators executed a search warrant of Granby Police computers and eventually went to Bourque’s home and found pornography on those computers, investigators say. They are alleging there were more than 100,000 images on his computer.  Bourque’s attorney is disputing the figure.

After being charged with the crimes, Bourque was set free on a $150,000 bond and is currently awaiting a trial date.

In addition to his severance pay, he has also agreed not to apply for a job in the town of Granby again. Bourque is currently receiving a pension from Suffield that is not being compromised at this point.

Let us know what you think!
Please be as specific as possible.
Include your name and email if you would like a response back.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the code without spaces and pay attention to upper/lower case.