Where to see ‘The Nutcracker’ this year
By Joan Hunt - ReminderNews Managing Editor
- posted Wed., Nov. 16, 2011
For most of us it was the first ballet we saw, and that childhood memory is indeed magical. This holiday season, treat your family to “The Nutcracker,” playing in many area locations, including the following:
• “The Nutcracker Suite and Spicy” by CONNetic Dance is a contemporary take on the classic. The performance is billed to “take the characters and music from “The Nutcracker,” shake it up and serve it up with a twist!” Set design is by local artist Ethan Boisvert, and the rocking compilation of music is inspired by the classic Tchaikovsky score. It plays at the Aetna Theatre at The Wadsworth Atheneum, in Hartford, on Dec. 17, at 2 p.m. and at 8 p.m.. Tickets: 860-251-9194 or visit www.conneticdance.com. It will also be performed at the Warner Theatre on Saturday, Dec. 10, with shows at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and on Sunday, Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. Tickets: 860-489-7180 or www.warnertheatre.org.
• With live music performed by the Hartford Symphony Orchestra, the Nutmeg Ballet Conservatory presents a traditional performance of “The Nutcracker” at The Bushnell in Hartford on Saturday, Dec. 17, at 12 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. and on Sunday, Dec. 18, at the same times. Tickets: 860-987-5900 or www.bushnell.org.
• Connecticut Concert Ballet presents “The Nutcracker,” with a giant Christmas tree that grows before your eyes, in performances at Manchester High School’s Bailey Auditorium on Sat., Dec. 10 and 17, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. and on Sun., Dec. 11 & 18, at 2 p.m.
• ”The Nutcracker” plays at the UConn Jorgensen Auditorium in Storrs on Dec. 11 from 1-4 p.m. Tickets: www.jorgensen.uconn.edu.
• Mystic Ballet premiers “A Mystic Nutcracker,” based on E.T.A. Hoffmann’s story and with the traditional Tchaikovsky score. This version purports to work on the audience’s five senses. Mystic Ballet Artistic Director Gregor Thieler and Assistant Choreographer Xanthe Geeves conjured this dramatic, yet comical story for a cast of 40 international dancers from five continents. Performances will be on Dec. 4, 11 and 18 at 2 p.m. at Mashantucket Pequot Museum Auditorium in Mashantucket.