Try a new holiday classic recipe
By Family Features
Statewide - posted Thu., Dec. 8, 2011
The holiday season is the perfect time to gather around the table with friends and family and share delicious dishes and treats like this one:
Rigatoni Romesco with Grilled Shrimp
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 T extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus 1/3 cup
3 cloves garlic, divided and chopped
1 slice white bread
1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, undrained
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 T chopped Italian parsley
2 tsp. salt, divided
3/4 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
3 pounds (about 3 dozen) large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (16-ounce) package rigatoni pasta, cooked according to package directions and kept warm
Optional garnish: Chopped Italian parsley, chopped peanuts or roasted red pepper strips
1. Add 1 T oil and 2 cloves garlic to a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Sauté and stir about 1 minute.
2. Transfer garlic to small bowl. Add bread to skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side until toasted. Remove bread and tear into large pieces.
3. Place sautéed garlic, remaining clove raw garlic, bread, peanut butter and roasted red peppers in food processor and purée well. Add in pepper flakes, tomatoes, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, vinegar, chili powder and paprika; purée. With processor running, add 1/3 cup oil gradually through the feed tube and mix well. Return sauce to skillet and heat thoroughly. Keep warm.
4. Heat grill. Season shrimp with remaining 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1 T oil in large bowl. Stir to combine. Grill about 2 minutes on each side or until opaque.
5. Place pasta on large platter. Top with sauce, then shrimp. Serve hot. Garnish with Italian parsley, chopped peanuts and red peppers if desired. Serve hot.