Falcons win in overtime thriller

By Colin Rajala - Staff Writer
Enfield - posted Tue., Jan. 15, 2013
Members of the Fermi/Enfield hockey team pile up after a 3-2 overtime victory over  Suffield on Jan. 12. Photos by Colin Rajala.
Members of the Fermi/Enfield hockey team pile up after a 3-2 overtime victory over Suffield on Jan. 12. Photos by Colin Rajala.

The first of what will be many intense local battles between two of north central Connecticut’s elite hockey programs saw a back and forth battle before the Fermi/Enfield/East Granby/Stafford Falcons defeated local rival Suffield/Granby/Windsor Locks Wildcats 3-2 in an overtime thriller on Jan. 12, at the Enfield Twin Rinks. The win for Fermi/Enfield halted their losing streak, which stood at four games.

The overtime goal for Enfield (3-5-1) came shortly after a penalty kill with the clocking waning down with just over a minute and a half left in the game. Junior forward Matt Boulette carried the puck into the Suffield (2-5-1) zone, dishing it off to junior forward Jake Quinn. Senior forward Nick Ferracci streaked to the net and put in the Quinn pass for the decisive victory.

“Late in the game I thought we played exceptional and did enough to win,” said head coach Frank Genovese. “Overall we played a solid game and I thought we were strong in our zone. We only gave up two power play goals... we did not give up many chances.”

Enfield’s first goal came late in the first period when Ferracci netted his first goal of the game on an assist from sophomore defenseman Ryan Gothers.

“We had a first tough seven or eight minutes, but then we got that goal and we settled down,” Genovese said. “Maybe a week’s layoff kind of hurt a little bit at the beginning.”

Enfield took a two-goal lead in the second period after senior captain Avery Boissy flew down the ice on the fast break in the second period and his one-on-one shot versus Suffield goalkeeper Garrett Matthews was blocked but sophomore Brian Riley hustled down the ice and netted the rebound.

They say a two-goal lead is the toughest lead in hockey, and that proved true for the Falcons, as Suffield scored two unanswered in a choppy second period to tie the game. Junior Scott McWhirter scored on a pass from sophomore Jake King and senior captain Drew Ash scored on an assist from McWhirter and King.

“We’ve blown our share lately [of two-goal leads],” Genovese said. “The main thing we had to do was just settle down. There’s a lot to get excited about, you just gave up a lead and you don’t want to panic. We stayed the course and we didn’t panic. We just kept doing our job. It wasn’t our best game, but I will take it.”

Senior Aaron Lickwar tallied 36 saves in net for Fermi/Enfield.

Let us know what you think!
Please be as specific as possible.
Include your name and email if you would like a response back.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the code without spaces and pay attention to upper/lower case.