After tense games, Falcons live to play another day

By Colin Rajala - Staff Writer
Enfield - posted Thu., Feb. 28, 2013
Senior goalie Aaron Lickwar makes a save during the Falcons' 7-5 loss against West Haven on Feb. 21. Photos by Colin Rajala.
Senior goalie Aaron Lickwar makes a save during the Falcons' 7-5 loss against West Haven on Feb. 21. Photos by Colin Rajala.

Coming down the final stretch of the season, the Fermi-Enfield-East Granby-Stafford Falcons had dropped three straight games and placed themselves in between a rock and a hard place as far as a state tournament berth goes. The co-op hockey team would need to win two out of its final three games to play in the post-season.

On Feb. 21, the Falcons could not handle West Haven’s Austin Hansen, as the senior forward exploded for six goals during the Blue Devils’ 7-5 victory. Hansen's outbreak was particularly debilitating for the Falcons, as three goals came short-handed while two more came as West Haven was on the power play.

“I thought we came out of the chute ready to play, we were focused and we were hard on pucks,” said head coach Frank Genovese. “That was probably one of the better 45-minute efforts that we’ve had all year, if you can believe it. Obviously he [Hansen] is a very talented kid and we know he was the guy to look out for; sometimes even when you know it, you can’t stop it.”

In the losing effort, the Falcons received two goals from junior Jacob Quinn and goals from Jason Despard, Brian Reilly and Avery Boissy.

The team backed itself into a corner with the East Haven loss, but would get a chance to right the ship as the players entered their Senior Day matchup with rival Tri-Town in a must-win situation.

Brian Riley put the Falcons up 1-0 early in the second period before Tri-Town would even the score up in the second period and Kevin White gave the Terrorcats a 2-1 advantage early in the third.  With 51 seconds left in regulation, senior captain Logan Beck gave a second life to the Falcons’ post-season aspirations, scoring his first career goal to tie the game at 2-2. Just 40 seconds later, Beck became the program's saving grace as he rifled a shot from the point into the back of the net for a 3-2 victory to keep the season alive.

Just two nights later, on Feb. 27, the Falcons squared off with the Conord Chieftains in a win-or-go-home scenario. The team won 3-0, and will live to play another game.

Let us know what you think!
Please be as specific as possible.
Include your name and email if you would like a response back.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the code without spaces and pay attention to upper/lower case.