Girl Scouts Family Partnership Fair helps fund Scouting activities

By Melanie Savage - Staff Writer
Hebron - posted Tue., Mar. 26, 2013
Hebron Daisy Scout Maja gets a temporary tattoo. Photos by Melanie Savage.
Hebron Daisy Scout Maja gets a temporary tattoo. Photos by Melanie Savage.

John Roache used a small latch hook to affix a long, orange feather to the hair of a Hebron Brownie Scout. At the Connecticut Girl Scouts Sachems unit Family Partnership Fair at Hebron’s Gilead Congregational Church, Roache was one of only a few men in the crowded fellowship hall. This year, the Andover dad took over as the leader of his daughter’s troop, Brownie troop 67342. “The other mom who was doing it got swamped,” he said, “so here I am.”

“The girls actually picked the idea,” said Roache. “I asked what they wanted to do, and they said hair.” So, the afternoon of March 23, Roache found himself surrounded by hair elastics, hair jewels, feathers and little girls. “We had a troop meeting where they practiced on each other’s hair,” said Roache. Though the girls had helped out at the table for a while, they’d quickly been distracted by friends and other activities. So Roache found himself manning the table with a troop mom. He pointed out his daughter in the crowd, 6-year-old Jessica. Dad has had some practice with hair in the past. “As you can see, she’s got a lot of it,” he said.

At a nearby table, Pam Atwood and Mary Jean Wakefield, co-leaders for Troop 65182, manned a printmaking session using all-natural supplies. There were shapes cut into potatoes, and pine boughs, broccoli florets, leaves and seed pods to use as paintbrushes. For ink, there were a number of natural pigments, including coffee beans, raspberries, flower petals and herb leaves. “They’re working on their painting badge,” explained Atwood. Recent activities had included a field trip to the Wadsworth Atheneum. “And nature’s art was one of their favorite activities,” said Atwood.

According to a Girl Scouts of Connecticut flier, "It costs approximately $250 per girl per year for Girl Scouts of Connecticut to provide programs, resources, adult trainings, supplies, publications, insurance, facilities and outdoor program centers for each and every member." Cookie sales help raise approximately 45 percent of that cost. "That leaves 55 percent that must be raised through donations from our Girl Scout families and friends," reads the flier. The Family Partnership Fair helps to raise those funds. Each visitor makes a donation at the door, and can then participate in activities provided by local troops.

In addition to the hair booth and the art prints, there were games, manicures, bake sales and other activities. According to Linda Hadley, one of the organizers, there were 12 troops participating in this year’s fair. Hadley said that a local business, Pizzeria DaVinci, helped support this year’s fair by donating some pizzas.


Home
Let us know what you think!
Please be as specific as possible.
Include your name and email if you would like a response back.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
5
C
T
R
a
E
Enter the code without spaces and pay attention to upper/lower case.