Fife and drum and more
Ellington - posted Jun, 29 2012
Residents of the tri-town area are invited to hear the Sailing Masters of 1812 Fife and Drum Corps from Essex on July 14, when the group brings its sound to the Nellie McKnight House and Museum on Main Street in Ellington. The performance is part of day-long activities at the museum which include an archeological dig, museum open house and presentation to the museum of the United States Flag that flew during the period 1810-1815, also known as the Star-Spangled Banner. The Sailing Masters of 1812 were formed in 1963 as the Essex Fife and Drum Corps to commemorate the role of the Sailing Master during the War of 1812. The Sailing Master was the Third Ranking Officer of the Line, U.S. Navy, and was responsible for the integrity and operation of the sails on board ship. Essex played a role in that war in April 1814 when British Regulars rowed up the Connecticut River and burned 28 merchant ships anchored in the Essex harbor. The Corps perpetuates the music of that period as well as patriotic music from the 18th–20th centuries. The Sailing Masters last appeared in Ellington in 1986 during the Ellington Bicentennial Parade. Their performance will take place at noon on the grounds of the Nellie McKnight Museum at 70 Main St. in Ellington. For more information call Tim Fahy at 860-875-5804.