Learn the history
Salem - posted Aug, 29 2012
SALEM- In 1934, a small group of people began visiting every town in Connecticut to survey its “old buildings.” A Work Projects Administration (WPA) project, the staff of the Census of Old Buildings in Connecticut completed forms with information about the buildings, and often also took photographs of the buildings. The majority are houses, but some schools, churches, factories, and libraries are included. The survey forms and photographs were deposited in the State Archives, with additions coming in as late as 1942. The Connecticut State Library has transcribed the forms, digitized the photographs, and is pleased to present them online as part of the CSL Digital Collections. Please see WPA Architectural Survey- Census of Old Buildings in Connecticut at http://cslib.cdmhost.com/cdm/landingpage/collection/p4005coll7 To date, this information is online for Andover through Voluntown. Most of the buildings have no name, and locations are rarely addresses, for example, “East side, facing west on Conn. 93, at southeast corner of Green.” Construction dates and the original owners are as written on the survey forms, even though more recent research may provide different information. Viewers are urged to use the “Tell Us More” field in each building’s descriptive metadata (information about an item) to email us with more information about each building, its history, its address, current status, etc. Any questions about this project can be directed to Carol Ganz, Reference Librarian, Connecticut State Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 860-757-6587.