Cemetery walking tour
Coventry - posted Sep, 25 2013
COVENTRY- The Coventry Cemetery Commission is sponsoring a guided walking tour at Grant Hill Cemetery on Oct. 14 from 1-2 p.m. The public is invited and no pre-registration is necessary. Any questions should be directed to Sherry Chapman, Chairman, Coventry Cemetery Commission at 860-742-8933. Coventry Cemetery Commission recently established a self-guided walking tour at Grant Hill Cemetery, located on Grant Hill Road in Coventry. Grant Hill Cemetery was formed in 1773, and has been known historically as Strong Cemetery, Minister Hill Cemetery, North Cemetery and Flint Yard. The tour covers stone carvers, changes over time in epitaph style, examples of different gravestone material, and symbolism. This is the second in a series of planned self-guided walking tours developed by Coventry Cemetery Commission. A similar tour of Nathan Hale Cemetery was established in 2010. Tour-guide brochures are available from the Recreation Department at Coventry Town Hall, Coventry's Visitor Center on Main Street, and Booth and Dimock Memorial Library. You may download the brochures from the town website at http://coventryct.org (under Quick Links). Brochures for the self-guided tour of Nathan Hale Cemetery (NHC) are also available on location at the NHC entrance.