Fire Department Engine #1 ornament available
Glastonbury - posted Nov, 19 2013
GLASTONBURY - Cub Scout Pack 241 has been honoring Glastonbury heritage for 23 years by introducing 100-percent pewter ornaments that are made in Connecticut. Each year features a different Glastonbury theme. As the Pack's only fundraiser, all proceeds support Pack 241 Cub Scouts activities. In addition to funding the usual events, this year the Scouts are trying to raise funds to do a sleepover at Mystic Aquarium and participate in an Adventure Camp at Camp Ingersoll. All great character building activities. This year the Cub Scouts are featuring Fire Department Engine #1. Pete Cowles is a former chief of Glastonbury Fire Department and provided the following history of Engine #1: Glastonbury’s first fire engine, a 1930 American LaFrance apparatus. Ordered in 1928, it was delivered in 1930. Engine 1 was on line for 30 years before being turned in for a new engine in 1960. It was sold to Bristol Fire Department, until they sold it to Newtown who in turn sold it to the Orange Fire Department, who owned it for 35 years. The Naubuc Fire Department purchased it back from Orange for the same price they paid in 1930. Through the efforts of Cowles and Bob Harrington, funds were raised for the engine’s restoration. As of 2013, an agreement between Naubuc Fire Department and the Historical Society of Glastonbury, will house the truck in the Tobacco Shed Museum on the site of the Wells-Shipman house in So. Glastonbury/ Anyone interested in supporting our Scouts can order ornaments by visiting www.pack241.org/ or emailing email@example.com. In addition, Scouts will be selling ornaments at the Stop & Shop on Oak St., from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., on Dec. 14 and 15. All 23 years are available for purchase if anyone is missing a prior year.